Library Services rolls out mobile tech lab and culinary literacy programs.
Written by Anthony Bicy
Belden Communications News
Volusia County’s Library Services are gearing up for two exciting new programs – a mobile tech lab for school-age children and a series of family culinary literacy labs. Federal grants are funding the program, which was approved by County Council Tuesday.
According to a release, the idea behind the mobile tech lab is to help counteract the impact of the pandemic on education by providing students with enhanced learning opportunities in the so-called STEM disciplines – science, technology, engineering, and math. Under the program, the county’s library staff will use a $31,670 grant and combine it with matching funds and in-kind services to develop a technology-based curriculum delivered through a mobile lab.
Once active, the lab will travel to schools, libraries, and community centers throughout the county. It will prioritize low-income neighborhoods and provide students access to tablets and the internet through a mobile hotspot.
The second program, Recipes and Reads, will offer a comprehensive culinary literacy program with hands-on demonstrations, food handling, and workshops. Like the mobile lab, library services will use a $75,953 federal grant to pay for it.
Culinary labs will be available in Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, DeLand, and Deltona.
They will also be mobile and travel to other library branches and neighborhoods for special lab presentations. Each lab will be identical and fully stocked with kitchen supplies and educational material.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family