Volusia County Council at-large candidate excluded from debate sparks dispute.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
Sherrise Boyd, one of four candidates for the Council At-Large seat in the Volusia County Council, was excluded from a debate held on Sunday, hosted by the Volusia County Teenage Republicans Club (TARs).
The other three candidates, Jake Johansson, Andy Kelly, and Doug Pettit, attended the debate. Johansson claimed he did not know about Boyd’s exclusion. After digging through multiple Facebook comments and responses from Volusia County Chair Jeff Brower and TARs, Johansson was aware before attending the debate and stirred a pot creating a dispute with the candidates, TARs, and Chair Brower and his family.
Boyd responded Tuesday, making discrimination claims due to her gender and race, while Brower’s post centered on defending his wife Terri and their son, both of whom are associated with TARs. While Boyd has every right to feel slighted in the matter, both she and Brower resorted to name-calling in their responses, which is unbecoming of an official seat holder or a political candidate.
TARs put out their statement Thursday morning, claiming Boyd was excluded solely for her not holding the same views as the club and defending their position.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family