2018 "Click It or Ticket" Initiative
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is launching Border to Border (B2B), a 1-day nationwide seatbelt awareness event. The event will be held Monday, May 21 and Volusia County Sheriff’s Office is one of the state highway safety offices and law enforcement agencies coordinating and participating in the event.
The B2B event is raising support and awareness for the 2018 “Click It or Ticket” seatbelt initiative which runs from Monday, May 21 through Sunday, June 3. During this time, those law enforcement agencies who are participating in the initiative will be continually issuing citations in an effort to enforce traffic laws.
According to Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, on May 21 from 4pm-8pm, there will be a “4-hour enforcement crackdown” since B2B is concentrating on nighttime hours because studies have shown that during those hours seatbelt use is low.
Last year, those law enforcement agencies who worked with the B2B program issued 5,695 seat belt and child car seat violation citations along with an additional 14,619 citations for other traffic violations.
According to NHTSA, in 2016 48% of passengers who were killed in a crash were not wearing seatbelts. The percentage goes up to 56% between the hours of 6pm - 5:59am. These numbers have prompted this year’s B2B and Click It or Ticket campaigns to encourage the participating law enforcement agencies to focus on nighttime enforcement.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family