Off-Duty School Custodian Arrested in Molestation of 13-Year-Old Child.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
A custodian supervisor from Starke Elementary School was arrested Monday on charges of molesting a 13-year-old child while off duty.
According to a release from the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, Maurice Carter, 46, has been taken into custody on charges of lewd or lascivious molestation and aggravated child abuse.
The crime was not committed on school grounds and Carter’s access to the female victim was not related to his job at the school.
With the nature of the crime and Carter’s proximity to children, the Sheriff’s Office wants to make sure the community and parents of Start students have been made aware of Carter’s arrest.
Deputies had responded Sunday night to Carter’s home in DeLand after an altercation was reported. Witnesses told deputies on the scene that carter was inebriated, and that they had seen Carter caressing and kissing the body of the 13-year-old victim.
Carter has since been arrested and transported to the Volusia County Branch Jail. He remains in custody on a $5,000 bond, according to reports.
At this point, the investigation has not shown any indications of any additional victims.
The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office is asking anyone with information about potential victims in this or any other case of sexual abuse of a child is asked to contact the Volusia Sheriff’s Office Child Exploitation Unit at 386-323-3574.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family