Click to view moreClick to view more
Click to view moreClick to view more
Click to view moreClick to view more
Click to view moreClick to view more

News Archives

PORT ORANGE POLICE, VSO DEPUTIES ON SCENE AT ATLANTIC HIGH At least 11 Juveniles, 1 Adult Arrested in Courtyard Fight - ****Updated as of 12/5/19 @ 9:08pm ****

Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 2:40PM

UPDATE As Of 12/5/19 9:08pm: Details emerge after fight today at Atlantic High School.

     A large fight erupted at Atlantic High School in Port Orange just after noon today between juvenile males in the school cafeteria and the courtyard over events that occurred Wednesday night at Sunset Oaks apartment complex near the school.


     Our school resource deputy summoned extra law enforcement officers to the school after learning a possible fight might occur. Despite extra officers, the juveniles began to fight and were separated by school staff and officers from the Volusia Sheriff’s Office and Port Orange and South Daytona police officers.


   Then a separate fight occurred in the discipline office between suspects from the first fights.

   Eleven juveniles were charged with disruption of a school function, a misdemeanor. Two juveniles were also charged with probation violations resulting from the fights.


     An adult male also was arrested after coming onto school property with brass knuckles because one of the students involved was his younger brother who had been attacked at the apartment complex Wednesday night.


       Extra law enforcement presence is in place tonight for a basketball game at Atlantic High and will be enforced Friday.



Original Story As Of 12/5/19 2:40pm

Atlantic High School was on code red lockdown today after a fight broke out in the school’s courtyard at lunchtime around noon and Port Orange police and Volusia sheriff’s deputies are on scene handling the fracas.


At least 11 students were arrested and an adult male who came onto campus with a parent was arrested for trespassing and carrying a concealed weapon – brass knuckles.


No students were injured and no weapons were located on campus. The lockdown was expected to be lifted shortly.


More information will be released when it becomes available.


Bookmark & Share

User Comments

Be the first to comment on this post below!