Plane Crashes in Spruce Creek Fly-In Community
Port Orange, FL - On Thursday afternoon a small plane carrying two people crashed and caught fire in Volusia County.
The small aircraft crashed in the Spruce Creek Fly-In neighborhood in Port Orange. The crash was reported to 911 dispatch by witnesses at 1:45 pm near Cessna Blvd.
After calling 911 witnesses attempted to pull the two people from the flaming wreckage.
The pilot was identified by the Sheriff's Office as 61-year-old John Wilson, of Port Orange. The passenger was identified as 35-year-old Matthew Simmons of Port Orange.
Wilson was airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center with critical injuries. Simmons was taken to Halifax Health in Daytona beach with non life-threatening injuries.
Once the plane landed it veered off the runway into the grass and caught fire. The Volusia County Sheriff's Office has no more information regarding the cause or circumstance of the crash.
This is the third crash to happen at Spruce Creek since May.
Check back for updates regarding this developing story.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family