Port Orange Police Department, in partnership with FDOT, to participate in a High Visibility Enforcement operation through May 13.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
According to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), Volusia County ranks in the top 25 counties in the State of Florida for traffic crashes.
In response, the Port Orange Police Department and FDOT will conduct a High Visibility Enforcement (HVE) operation from Friday, April 15, 2022, through Friday, May 13, 2022, along various roadways throughout the city that are over-represented in traffic crashes that result in serious, or fatal injuries to pedestrians and bicyclists.
FDOT has also partnered with the University of North Florida, which has funded the details of the operation to focus on improving pedestrian and bicycle safety. The goal is to enforce and increase awareness, and compliance with traffic laws, while protecting the well-being of pedestrians and bicyclists.
Enforcement will primarily focus on education for drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists, but citations and warnings will be issued depending on the circumstances.
FDOT and the Port Orange Police Department want residents and visitors to remember the following:
- Drivers should always obey speed limits, never drive impaired, and watch for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Bicyclists should also obey traffic laws, ride in the direction of traffic, and use lights when riding at night.
- Pedestrians should only cross the street in crosswalks or at intersections, obey pedestrian signals, and make sure they are visible to drivers when walking at night.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family