Port Orange hosting workshops on FEMA Grants for Flood Mitigation
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
The City of Port Orange has announced two informative community workshops scheduled for Wednesday, June 28, 2023, from 5:15 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. and Friday, June 30, 2023, from 9:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. at the Port Orange Regional Library Auditorium located at 1005 City Center Circle in Port Orange, to educate property owners on FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) and Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA).
FEMA's grant programs provide financial aid to address and reduce the risks posed by flood-prone homes. Property owners can receive funding to implement mitigation strategies, such as structure elevation, acquisition/demolition, or demolition/reconstruction, through these initiatives to minimize the potential damage caused by future flooding events. Residents who own property and are interested in gaining knowledge about flood mitigation techniques are encouraged to attend.
Typically, projects funded under the FEMA grant programs involve a combination of Federal funds, covering up to 75% of the costs, and non-Federal/owner funds, contributing the remaining 25% or more. Property owners should understand the eligibility criteria and cost-sharing requirements before applying for these grants.
During the workshops, staff members will conduct sessions to review the various mitigation options available and explain the eligibility criteria in detail. Additionally, attendees will gain insights into the anticipated FEMA application period, which spans a year, and the subsequent permitting and construction processes, which take approximately four years to complete.
It is important to note that the allocation of grants is highly competitive, and funding availability is limited. Attendance at the workshops does not guarantee financial assistance or eligibility for the grant programs. However, by participating, property owners can enhance their understanding of flood mitigation measures and the potential benefits of these programs.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family