Volusia County Veteran Services to host a Veterans Stand Down on December 14.
Written by Anthony Bicy
Belden Communications News
The Volusia County Veterans Services Division will host a Veterans Stand-Down on Tuesday, December 14, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Florida Department of Health in Volusia County off Holsonback Drive in Daytona Beach.
According to a release, Veterans and their families may stop by for free clothing, toiletries, COVID and flu vaccines, and food gift cards. Representatives from multiple agencies will be available to talk about veterans' benefits, resources for vocational services, education, and homelessness.
Stand downs for homeless veterans have recently begun to be modeled after the stand-down concept used during the Vietnam War to provide a safe retreat for units returning from combat. At a secure base camp, troops were able to take care of personal hygiene, get clean uniforms, enjoy warm meals, receive medical and dental care, mail and receive letters, and enjoy the camaraderie of friends in a safe environment.
Other agencies involved with the Veterans Stand Down event include VITAS Healthcare, Daytona Beach Vets Center, Florida Department of Health, CareerSource Flagler Volusia, Supporting Services for Veterans Families, and Daytona State College.
If you wish to know more, call Scott Olson at (386)740-5102.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family