Volusia Forever to accept land purchase proposals through May 15.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
Volusia Forever, a wildly popular conservation program, is looking to purchase and preserve lands that will benefit humans and wildlife for years to come. Sellers who want to put their property for purchase may complete an online application through May 15.
According to a release, County staff and the nine-member Volusia Forever Advisory Committee will review applications to ensure the properties meet the criteria before making recommendations to the Volusia County Council, who will make the final decision on which properties to pursue.
Volusia County will prioritize properties that enhance corridors and connectivity, are of significant size to achieve meaningful conservation objectives, face an imminent loss to development, allow for completion of projects begun under the previous program, or serve as additions to existing conservation lands. Any eligible property located in the St. Johns River Water Management District’s five-year acquisition plan will also receive priority.
Volusia Forever, approved by taxpayers originally in 2000 and then again in 2020, acquires and improves environmentally sensitive lands, water resource protection, outdoor recreation lands, working forests, and farmlands.
The conservation program has funded purchases for 38,000 acres throughout the county during the program's first 20 years. Some of the more popular conservation sites created with purchased lands include the Doris Leeper Spruce Creek Preserve, Hickory Bluff Preserve, the Plum Creek Conservation Area, Green Springs Park, and numerous plots within the conservation corridor.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family