Airport Completes Taxiway Project
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
Daytona Beach International Airport has completed its major taxiway rehabilitation project.
The project took two and a half years and $40 million to complete rehabilitation on asphalt pavement for Taxiway in November, along with portions of Taxiways Alpha and Papa.
According to a release, several connectors were modified, relocated, or removed to comply with the latest Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) construction standards.
To continue airport operations runways, taxiways, and all airfield markings and lighting must be in a safe and serviceable condition while following the minimum standards as required or prescribed by applicable federal, state, and local agencies for maintenance and operation.
Taxiway November, which is 75 feet wide and 10,500 feet long, is the primary air carrier taxiway; it runs parallel to the longest air carrier runway, 7L-25R.
While construction was ongoing, there were several closures of the main runway, which caused temporary changes in traffic patterns, which did not disrupt airline operations.
“Daytona Beach International Airport has been the busiest airport in Florida for aircraft operations (takeoffs and landings) for August, September and October and the second busiest for November, so you can imagine the level of coordination that has taken place for the duration of this construction period,” said Airport Director Karen Feaster."
“Construction plans take into account the heavy student training traffic at the airport along with our growing commercial service and with this large of a project, I’m proud there were no safety issues or disruption in airline operations.”
The FAA funded 90 percent of the project, with the airport and Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) splitting the remaining 10 percent.
According to the most recent FDOT Statewide Aviation Economic Impact Study, the Daytona Beach International Airport provides a total economic impact of over $2.1 billion to Volusia County while providing more than 2,382 local FTE jobs.
For more information, contact Joanne Magley, director of marketing and customer experience, at 386-248-8037.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family