City of Port Orange Announces Tree Clearing on Riverwalk Property
Port Orange, FL –The City of Port Orange announces that Halifax River Partners (HRP) will be clearing the existing trees on HRP’s property, located in the River District, east of S. Ridgewood Avenue, between Ocean Avenue and Herbert Street. To comply with federal, state and local stormwater management and floodplain development requirements, about 3’ to 4’ of fill will need to be placed in this area to provide water quality and flood protection for development. Due to the extent and amount of fill required to realize the Riverwalk vision, the existing trees are being cleared since placing the required fill on the existing trees’ established root system will significantly reduce the trees’ ability to survive.
According to the property owner, the clearing plan will include all trees and vegetation, as well as the majority of pavement and concrete slabs within the boundary (blue outline in graphic below). The Riverwalk Amended and Restated Master Development Agreement (MDA), approved by Council in September 2016, exempted the property owned by HRP from the City’s tree preservation requirements due to the amount of fill required to develop the site.
As the Riverwalk vision continues to develop, landscaping and trees will be planted to provide a cohesive, pedestrian attractive feel to the destination venue along with restaurants, condominiums, and other planned structures. The contractor anticipates the tree clearing activity to be completed by October 2019.
# # #
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family