Governor DeSantis Holds Press Conference in Tampa Following Confirmed Florida COVID-19 Cases; Declares Public Health Emergency.
Written by Kristen Schmutz – Belden Communications
Two people in Florida have tested positive for COVID-19. A man in his 60’s out of Hillsborough County with no knowledge of how he contracted the virus, is currently admitted to a local hospital, and a woman in her 20’s who just came back from a trip in Northern Italy, is under isolation in her home in Manatee County.
After the two cases were confirmed yesterday, Governor DeSantis declared a Public Health Emergency for the State of Florida. During a press conference this morning both the Governor and the Surgeon General Dr. Scott Rivkee’s confirmed that the cases were being handled efficiently and that the risk level to the state was still low.
The announcement f the Florida Cases came just one day after State Laboratories in Jacksonville, Tampa, and Miami can now test for COVID-19 without having to send the test samples out to the CDC Laboratories in Atlanta.
U.S Senator Marco Rubio, also stated that he is working with President Trump and Governor DeSantis to gain Federal Aid to Help Florida Combat the Virus.
"Despite these cases, the overall immediate threat to the public remains low," said Gov. DeSantis. "With that said, we do anticipate that more will test positive, and we have taken additional actions to help contain the viruses spread."
The Governor and the Surgeon General urge the public if you feel sick stay home, cover your mouth when you cough/sneeze, and wash your hands frequently. If you feel you may have COVID-19 contact your local health department.
For more information or updates regarding COVID-19 visit
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family