Kat Atwood, District 2 Port Orange City Council Woman, resigns.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
The City of Port Orange announced late Tuesday that Kat Atwood, the elected District 2 representative for the City Council, has resigned for medical reasons.
"This has not been an easy decision. If I’m not able to give it my all, I need to step down and allow someone else to have the opportunity. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I will continue to seek out ways to serve the City of Port Orange as I am able, but for now, I need to focus on my health," said Atwood.
Elected to a four-year term in August 2022, her resignation is effective immediately.
According to a release, Atwood grew up in Orange City, went to high school in DeLand, and served 22 years in the United States Navy before retiring and returning to Volusia County. She attended Daytona State College’s Culinary School, earning a Chef’s Medallion as a pastry chef.
"Her dedication to this community and willingness to serve this City and its citizens will truly be missed. I know this was a difficult decision for her and her family to make, but I must respect their privacy at this time, and I wish the entire Atwood family only the best," said Port Orange Mayor Don Burnette.
The City Council will discuss and appoint a temporary replacement to serve in her place until a special election takes place for the seat, where the winner would serve out the remainder of Atwood’s term at the Council’s February 7 meeting.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family