Debenedictis Convicted After Jury Trial on 5 Felony Counts; Faces a Possible Life Sentence
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
After a two-and-a-half-day trial, a Volusia Jury comprised of 4 women and 2 men deliberated for two hours before returning the guilty verdicts, regarding David Debenedictis, 36. Debenedictis is facing a possible life sentence following his conviction on 5 felony charges Thursday.
According to a release, Debenedictis, and a co-defendant, whose case remains pending, was charged with Arson, Burglary While Armed, Grand Theft, Grand Theft of a Firearm, and Possession of Amphetamines. All felonies, stem from a criminal episode that resulted in the burning of a New Smyrna Beach home and theft of several firearms, jewelry, cash, and other personal items from back in 2018. Debenedictis is a 10-time convicted felon, including grand thefts, robbery, and aggravated battery.
“Making justice a reality requires a team effort. We are fortunate to have great partners in Sheriff Mike Chitwood and the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office,” said State Attorney R.J. Larizza, following the conviction.
A sentencing hearing has been set for June 16 at 1:30 p.m., at the S. James Foxman Justice Center in Daytona Beach.
“The day that career scumbag David Debenedictis got locked up was a great day for Volusia County, and I hope that he's never going to walk free to victimize another innocent person," Sheriff Michael Chitwood. "I want to thank State Attorney Larizza and his team for making this conviction happen and protecting our community from a scumbag who has no respect for his fellow man, their property, or the law.”
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family