New Smyrna Beach to elevate nine flood-prone homes.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
The City of New Smyrna Beach is taking action to address the issue of sea level rise and flooding by participating in FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. The program will see nine at-risk single-family homes elevated above the 100-year floodplain, with six located in Central Beach between Ocean Avenue and 2nd Avenue and three along Sunset Drive in Islesboro.
The project is funded by FEMA, with 75% of the cost covered by the federal agency and the remaining 25% split between the City and each property owner, up to a maximum of $35,000 per property. Selected homes participated in a ranking process that aimed to distribute the funds proportionately throughout Volusia County and its sixteen cities.
“The selection process is time consuming and relies upon the interest of the property owner,” according to City Engineer Kyle Fegley. “We held four public meetings to obtain feedback and participation knowing it was a long-term commitment of four to five years.”
According to a release, the following is an update on the status of each of the nine properties:
- 600 Goodwin Ave.: Initial excavation is underway; initial lifting is expected to begin the week of February 13.
- 610 Goodwin Ave.: Permitting process complete; initial excavation pending.
- 643 Goodwin Ave.: Initial excavation underway.
- 507 S. Daytona Ave.: Initial excavation underway.
- 626 Pine St.: Initial lifting underway; final lifting to 8 feet above grade expected week of February 20.
- 2696 Sunset Dr.: Permitting process complete; initial excavation pending.
- 2700 Sunset Dr.: Initial lifting began on February 6.
- 2926 Sunset Dr.: Initial lifting underway; final lifting to 8 feet above grade expected by February 9.
- 632 Yupon Ave.: Initial excavation is expected to begin on March 6.
Residents interested in learning more about the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program can attend a public meeting hosted by the Volusia County Emergency Management Division at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, February 22, 2023, at the Emergency Operations Center in Daytona Beach. Representatives from the Florida Division of Emergency Management will be present to provide information on the program's eligibility, eligible uses of assistance, and the application process.
For further information, residents can contact City Engineer Kyle Fegley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 386-410-2835.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family