Port Orange American Legion building damaged in a fire
City of Port Orange firefighters were called out this Friday, morning at 2am to the American Legion Post 270.
Fortunately, the fire was contained to one wall and the attic space near the bar. The fire crews were able to extinguish the fire pretty quickly.
Fire Marshal Beau Gardner said that he will be investigating the fire, but as far as he can tell at this point it looks as if the fire may have started due to an electrical problem. There had been an electrical problem reported earlier in the evening and the Legion reached out to a member who is also an electrician.
The fire will be under investigation until Fire Marshal Gardner has a chance to speak with the electrician that was called out, until then he is unable to rule the fire one way or another.
Air Force veteran Dick Poulin who is also the first vice commander for the American Legion Post 270 has been attending events at the Legion since it opened 20 years ago, he was quoted saying “I am devasted about the fire. It is terrible. A lot of memories. We will have to wait and see what’s been hurt and what hasn’t” Poulin also said that the members will assess the damage and figure out how to move forward.
The fish fry that was scheduled for tonight will have to be cancelled due to the smoke and water damage inside the building.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family