Volusia County Council Confirms Plans for Testing Sites; Start Date still Unclear.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News.
In a virtual County Council meeting today, Volusia County Council Members reflected on the statement put out by Representative David Santiago yesterday.
Council Member Barbara Girtman of District 1 brought up the topic of Santiago’s claims and asked where the county’s current stance was regarding the claim for testing sites. In response to Councilwoman Girtman’s question, County Manager George Recktenwald took precedence of the response.
Recktenwald explained the importance of the need to gather the required medical personnel, equipment, supplies and most importantly test kits. He also warned of the prevalent misinformation that has been circulating as of late.
Recktenwald did confirm though that he has been in constant contact with both hospital chains in the county, and their continued partnership toward putting the plans for a drive-thru testing site on-line, but also ensuring that we are working with the hospitals and not against them for acquiring test kits.
Mr. Recktenwald did state that they are hoping to be able to have an update regarding testing sites in the county by the end of the week.
Florida's peak for the COVID-19 situation has been moved up by a few weeks in the last 48-hours, forecasting the peak of the outbreak in our state be around April 21, from the last forecasted peak around May 3.
It is the hope that testing sites will be fully functioning and staffed by that time.
Bookmark & Share
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family