Volusia County Schools extended Spring Break until March 29; County Officials Issue State of Emergency.
Written by Kristen Schmutz – BC News (Belden Communications News)
As of 5 p.m. Friday, Volusia County Schools have taken direction from the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE). All extra-curricular activities, like sports and field trips, are canceled over the next two weeks.
All testing has been delayed by two weeks.
District staff established an instructional learning plan should the need arise to close schools in the future.
The CDC and FLDOE are recommending that all foreign travelers, and/or cruise travelers self-isolate for 14 days upon returning. Any student absences will be excused, and students will be allowed to complete assignments and tests.
Arrangements will be made through the school once the parent notifies the administration that their child will need to self-isolate.
Officials of the school district are in constant contact with DOH and FLDOE. All decisions are made in collaboration between partner agencies. Information will be provided as it is available, and additional updates will be made throughout the break.
This news is related to Volusia County Officials issuing a State of Emergency for the entire county. A press conference was held earlier this evening, where officials expressed, they will be drastically increasing sanitation measures, and limiting gatherings.
As of Saturday morning, Bike Week licenses will be revoked, and future planned events for this weekend have been canceled.
These measures follow the third confirmed case of COVID-19 in Volusia County, which was announced yesterday. All three cases in the county, are travel related.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Most Popular Articles
- DUI Checkpoint to Run This Weekend on Dunlawton
- Some City Residents Advised to Boil Water Through Wednesday
- Detectives Believe Body Found in Daytona is that of Murder Suspect
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Increase in Volusia County
- Port Orange Woman Wins $750,000 On Scratch Off
- Police Seeking Person of Interest in Port Orange Death
- Port Orange Fire Department Deploys to Florida Panhandle
- Just Us Girls Event to Feature Charity Auction for Murder Victim?s Family